Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Amtrak 3 over-under at Trinidad, CO

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/11/18 17:50
Amtrak 3 over-under at Trinidad, CO
Author: highgreengraphics

On the morning of July 8, Amtrak No. 3 Southwest Chief is swiftly arriving at Trinidad, CO under the DPU's of a coal empty on the BNSF flyover bridge that eliminated the C&S-built bigger horseshoe that went through town. === === = === JLH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/18 22:52 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/11/18 17:57
Re: Amtrak 4 over-under at Trinidad, CO
Author: Bob3985

You really get around in your retirement. Trinidad on the 8th and the Cheyenne celebration on the 9th.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/11/18 18:16

Heck, this was morning - I followed this guy clear down to the semaphores south of Las Vegas, waited around for No.4 with the red-nose Heritage 156, and followed it back to Trinidad. Outside Romeroville, I had a high-speed blowout on my minivan between trains even. Luckily I cart around a full-size spare. Then after Trinidad the second time, drove north to Fort Collins, stopping on the way in Colorado Springs right at dusk to pick up a bunch of boxes of stuff for my daughter. Then leaving bright and early for Cheyenne with only about 5 hours of sleep after unloading those boxes for my daughter.
Some days taking pictures can be a lot of work! === === = === JLH

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/18 22:22 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/11/18 18:18
Author: DynamicBrake

That's probably the luckiest, timed shot I've ever seen.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/11/18 18:46
Author: bmarti7

I can’t  count the number of times through the years that I sat there in Trinidad at Chief time hoping for the shot and never having a train overhead. You are truly blessed!

BB

Date: 07/11/18 19:03
Author: czephyr17

Awesome photo, as noted you were extremely lucky with the timing on this one!  That could be the first time that has happened since the cut-off was built 30 years ago!  I want you to pick the numbers for my next lotto ticket.

Just a minor note - I think you mean the Amtrak train in your photo is #3, not #4.

Date: 07/11/18 19:15
Author: bnsfsd70

Nice!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 07/11/18 21:05
Author: SPB

Must be clean living to get a shot like that.  Gerry

Date: 07/11/18 21:49
Author: trainmandan

Knowing how hard it is to get a shot like this, great work! I'd nominate it for IOTD.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/11/18 22:02
Author: ATSFSuperChief

I agree IOTD. Hope Trinidad continues to see Amtrak trains well into future as Raton Pass needs to continue to demonstrate the fine history of American Railroading development.

SuperChiefDon

Date: 07/11/18 22:36

Thanks for the great comments - You're the best! I was set up at the crossing about half prepared. The scanner suggested the coal empty was on its way somewhere. It came into view at about the same time as the Amtrak horn could be heard very distant. Luckily, I drove the right-of-way road a couple of winters ago, so I knew it could be driven on with plenty of clearance. So I drove ahead and parked closer beyond a tree that is too near the track and no time to get the stepladder, cross the tracks and get it set up. I expected to get only hoppers above, not a bad shot. Both trains kept coming, more hoppers went past. Amtrak's headlight shows up, and more hoppers go past. Amtrak is at the bridge, and I am surprised when the corner of my eye sees these DPU's, and I shoot an entire sequence with both trains moving. This seems like the best of the views as the tree does not block the "BNSF" on the side of the orange unit. There were two frames after this one. === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/18 07:16 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/12/18 02:03
Author: bmarti7

Congrats-well deserved!

BB

Date: 07/12/18 04:17
Author: GPutz

Clean living, hard work and patience does it every time.  Congratulations, Jim.  Gerry

Date: 07/12/18 06:56
Re: Amtrak 3 over-under at Trinidad, CO
Author: santafe199

Most railfan photographers go their entire lives dreaming of a shot like this, and never get it. But when it does arrive, the real kicker is in the discipline & talent to not get too excited and blow the composition. Bravo, Jim! Very well done indeed! A+ in every category...

Lance/199 

Date: 07/12/18 08:56
Author: Eagle22

That coal train came from Halstead, TX, just east of Ausin.

Date: 07/12/18 10:51
Author: Seventyfive

Great to see your hard work and planning paying off.
"When you got it you got it."
Enjoying this and your other chase photos as well.
Thanks for posting .

Date: 07/12/18 12:58
Author: OldHeadRailroader

When I was the downtown trackage eliminated? I was there a few years ago, some of it still existed, as well as a MOW/Roadway equipment shop on BNSF. Most tracks were empty, no power seen. 1 BN wide vision caboose was seen. Are there industries around town being served?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/12/18 13:27

I don't think there is even one on-line industry in Trinidad. The horseshoe through town is gone, but a double-track old main crossing is still there leading to nowhere in either direction. Old low brick depot still exists. A couple tracks still exist in the old yard area, but BNSF only uses the area to store track parts, old ties and some MofW trucks, it looks largely forgotten while they concentrate on the new yard/crew change area outside of town. === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/18 13:28 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 07/12/18 14:07
Author: ATSF2921

Lucky timing indeed.  Great shot and congrats on IOTD.

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

Date: 07/12/18 16:28
Author: ProAmtrak

Great shot and awesome timing too!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds