Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > So Who Is The Jack Holst Honored In 4449's Cab?

Date: 10/03/12 15:00
So Who Is The Jack Holst Honored In 4449's Cab?
Author: LoggerHogger

Over on the ORHF - Doyle McCormack thread one of our long time crew members could not recall the spelling of famed NW railfan Jack Holst's name even though Jack is honored with a brass plaque in the cab of SP 4449.

Since Jack Holst passed away 40 years ago this Fall, I think it would be good to properly remember this man.

Jack was credited with helping save the Daylight by his years of keeping her axles and rods greased while the engine was rusting on display in Oaks Park in Portland, OR. More than that, Jack was involved in many other railroad projects in his brief 38 year life.

One of those projects that I benefited from was Jack's work to lease the Mount Emily Shay #1 to Cass Scenic RR in 1970. The big Shay had no real home in Portland in the 1960's and she was about to be moved Oaks Park to be displayed along with the 3 big steamers when Jack worked out a lease with Cass that saw the Shay shipped East for restoration back to operation.

Attached are a couple of photos I have of Jack. The first shows him on the front footboards of Hammond Lumber #17 at the Klamath & Hoppow Valley RR in Klamath, CA. Jack was down there for a steam up of the ALCO 2-8-2T and ex: Pickering Lumber Heisler #10. At the time, Jack was recognized as the pre-eminant Heisler authority in the coutry.

The second photo shows Jack with his beloved red Alfa Romero sports car. Jack took this car on many of his railfan photo trips.

An auto-biography of Jack is posted on the PNW Chapter of the NRHS website in Portland, OR where most of Jack's collection ended up. Here is the link:

http://www.pnwc-nrhs.org/jack_holst.html

Jack passed away suddenly after a short illness. Many of the railfan magazines of the 1960's and early 1970's contain articles and photos by Jack.

Unfortunately Jack never saw SP 4449 restored back to operation. He passed way just 2 and 1/2 years before she was pulled out of the park and refurbished as the American Freedom Train. That may never have occurred had Jack not selflessly donated his time greasing the Daylight in Oaks Park for all those years.

We all should take a moment to remember and thank Jack as, later this month, we enjoy seeing SP 4449 speed along the Columbia River and up the Deschutes River Canyon on her way to Jack's hometown of Bend, Oregon.

Martin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/12 15:14 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/03/12 15:07
Re: So Who Is The Jack Holst Honored In 4449's Cab?
Author: HotWater

Thanks Martin. I touch that brass plaque, in the cab of 4449, EVERY TIME I'm in the cab, and THAT is more than 37 years now! I never met Mr. Holst, but I sure respect what he did for our "Big Wheels".

Date: 10/03/12 15:39
Author: deckard

Yes, thank you Martin for that.

I live in Seattle and have never had the weekends free to see her since 1992. But I do know a wet-behind-the-ears BNSF engineer that's itching to drive her. It helps to remember 4449's heritage, ALL of it,and I'm sorry Mr. Holst never had a chance to see today what his practical efforts wrought all these years. The light that burns half as long sometimes burns twice as bright.

I am certain he would be quite proud.

Date: 10/03/12 15:46
Author: HotWater

deckard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
But I do know a
> wet-behind-the-ears BNSF engineer that's itching
> to drive her.

"drive her"???????

Date: 10/03/12 15:48
Author: Hillcrest

You know, I've seen his name many times in reference to the Oaks Park locomotives but never knew anything about him other than his name. I always assumed he was much older (like in his late 70's) when he passed away. Thanks for the link Martin, interesting reading about Mr. Holst.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 10/03/12 16:10
Author: needles_sub

While those in the spotlight get all the recognition, by their choice or not, we need to remember the contributions of those who are off stage, on the sides, quietly doing what needs to be done. With out these people, there would be no spotlight for others to stand in.

Date: 10/03/12 16:20
Author: Frisco1522

I think they "drive" engines overseas, but I've never heard that term catch on here. It's always been "run" an engine as far back as I can remember and I'm sure for generations before that.
I also cringe when somebody calls the reverse lever the "reverser".
Just musings from an old dinosaur.

Date: 10/03/12 16:42
Author: OKTrainboys

So, Why was Jack so fond of 4449? or was it steam locomotives in general? Why? Did he grow up near the SP coast route in the 50's?? We should have been THAT lucky!

Date: 10/03/12 17:11
Author: Hillcrest

Check the link on Martins post Mike, tells the whole story.

Cheers, Dave

Date: 10/03/12 19:20
Author: africansteam

A bit of Jack Holst trivia. Jack used to refer to his other sports car, a bug eyed Austin Healey Sprite, as "Bullwinkle".

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 10/03/12 20:39
Author: asheldrake

The Pacific Northwest Chapter yearly recognizes an outstanding member of the year, the award is the Jack Holst
Memorial Award as a continuing way to honor his contributions and memory.

Martin, great pictures of Jack, there aren't all that many around at least in the PNWC archives. Arlen

Date: 10/03/12 22:16
Author: truxtrax

Jack Holst is a hero to me on two counts, first for saving the 4449 with his efforts, and for having the "cajones" to own and drive a Gulietta Spyder! I was just 16 when I moved in with an uncle of mine in Coupeville who was in the Navy and stationed at Oak Harbor NAS. Bob Myers owned and raced an Alfa Spyder that was pretty rare in the state of Washington in 1956. Bob was also the founder and charter member of the Armed Forces Foreign Car Club which he started when he was stationed at Barbers Point NAS on Oahu. I pit crewed for him when he raced on the weekends at places like Kitsap airport near Bremerton and Abbotsford in BC. I was privileged to meet people like Pete Lovely when he lived in a one car garage with his Porsche Spider, and Mr Carstens SR. of Carstens Hy-Grade Meats on various race courses around the PNW. As a kid it give me an opportunity to engage in my other major dream besides railfanning! ...........8>)

Larry Dodgion
Wilsonville, OR

Date: 10/04/12 10:38
Author: patd3985

Jack Holst was a very close personal friend with my father back in the 60's and up until Jack's passing. Jack, John Labbe, Murph and their gang would be at our house talking trains on a regular basis. They also met at Yaw's Restaurant every Saturday, rain or shine, for their "Koffee Klatch" I remember Jack showing my dad and me how to use the TV sreen to watch 8mm movies. If you didn't have a screen or a white sheet, you simply aimed the projector into the TV screen and VIOLA!, Instant entertainment! Many a railroad home-movie was watched on our old Curtis-Mathis TV from then on! Jack and Dad were in on the rebuilding of the #105 for the Vernonia, South Park and Sunset. They would drive anywhere for their "steam fix"!(Klikitat, McCloud, OP&E, etc). It was something to see those 2 "long-legged characters" (Dad and Jack) chasing trains in Jack's little red sportscar! (Dad was 6'3" and skinny!) Anyway, I sure miss those days! Dad died in 1985 and I'm sure He and Jack are still chasing trains somewhere! I just hope they got a sportscar with more leg room!..........Thanx for listenin',................Pat Davison

Date: 10/04/12 13:01
Author: Jim700

Though I was an SP&S fireman assigned to the weekend runs of the SP&S-crewed Vernonia, South Park & Sunset's 2-6-2, I was also a volunteer who worked with Jack and many others to keep the operation going. It never ceased to amaze me how he could fold his nearly 6½' big frame into that little red sports car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds