Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Steam & Excursion > A New Twist In Mt. Rainier Scenic Saga!

Date: 05/20/20 03:34
A New Twist In Mt. Rainier Scenic Saga!
Author: LoggerHogger

Date: 05/20/20 04:11
Re: A New Twist In Mt. Rainier Scenic Saga!
Author: Jim700

Martin, I hope that article is correct.  At least it gives a glimmer of hope compared to the previously posted news.  I have been very honored to have been brought on board to augment their engine crews for the last three year's operations of the Polar Express and I'm hoping that it may continue.

Interesting that the picture used in the article is on the line south of Mineral en route to Morton that was the temporary route used during the years the Nisqually River bridge was out.  Many railfans preferred that route as they got to enjoy the engine's strong exhaust sound on the sustained 2.3% grade coming back up the hill toward the passing track at Divide.

When the weather cooperates, the passengers do get to see Mt. Rainier while crossing the Nisqually River bridge on the historic and current route.  I took this photo on the Polar Express last November 29th.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/20 04:22 by Jim700.

Date: 05/20/20 07:20
Author: wcamp1472

The last I knew,
I believe that Allen Harper owns all the licensing rights to Train/rail-related events using the copywrited name,
“Polar Express”...

Stilts

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/20/20 07:21
Author: train671

The article looks encouraging.  MRSR has some real obstacles such as location (not so easy to get too) and a somewhat expensive
cost for a rather short ride.  It can be very scenic and it is unique but a family of four might find it a tad expensive.  In any case, lets
hope MRSR finds it able to open later on this year.

Date: 05/20/20 08:23
Author: Worthington_S_A

train671 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The article looks encouraging.  MRSR has some
> real obstacles such as location (not so easy to
> get too) and a somewhat expensive
> cost for a rather short ride.  It can be very
> scenic and it is unique but a family of four might
> find it a tad expensive.  In any case, lets
> hope MRSR finds it able to open later on this
> year.

It was much cheaper before AHR showed up and sent all of the volunteers home and went to an all paid employee model.  Add that to whatever their target bottom line was/is, and the ticket cost increased by a wide margin.  I'm sure the Harpers would point to "improvements" that their model and the accompanying cost increase funded, but would counter that prior to AHR purchasing the railroad, Stathi Pappas and Brian Wise had restored or overhauled 4 locomotives, raising the total operating engines from 2 to 6, and had the railroad in overall good shape. 

Date: 05/20/20 10:08
Author: webmaster

"Harper said a false news release had been issued "

Sounds like either they posted the wrong release or he changed his mind.  I don't know why they would announce they are closing permanently when they could just not say anything at all.  Unless they are liquidating the assets I would not say anything except we are closed.

It seems to me the business model American Heritage Railways is using to run the railroad does not work for Mount Rainier.  They probably saw the operation as an under utilized asset and brought in paid staff to improve the experience to plus the value. Volunteers save a lot of money, but it is a mixed bag of people.  Some do a great job, and others are dead weight that cause more customer service harm than good.  The concept of the lumber museum with a train ride makes for a good tourist attraction.  The problem is there isn't enough regional visitors to create a Durango & Silverton level of attraction. 

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 05/20/20 11:16
Author: jbwest

I remember some years ago my wife and I were spending a few days in Seattle, and I wanted to visit the MRSR.  My wife is definitely not a railfan and does not like long "scenic" drives.  We never got there.  I seem to remember the choice was between a lot of driving over back roads, or utilizing some accomodations and eateries of rather "rustic" ambience.  Now I know none of that would have been a problem for the readers here, but I could not find a combination that I thought would appeal to my bride.  So I gave up.  The MRSR's position between Seattle and Mount Ranier National Park would seem to put it in a good location for tourists, but for some reason that area does not seem to have much tourist intrastructure, at least close to the railroad.

JBWX

Date: 05/20/20 11:28
Author: TCnR

Agree with the accesibility thing, I drove in from the Longview area. Suspect being between two semi active volcanoes, Mt Ranier and Mt St Helens, has something to do with big business investments, or rather big business insurance. On the other hand it that would suggest extending the route would be in order, somehow complementing the operation with local commerce. But it's not an obvious investment, there's a lot of skill in the equipment and maintainance and understanding subtle issues that would be involved. One of those hobby vs actual business things.

Date: 05/21/20 07:42
Author: BAB

Funny about driving there never thought too much about it I guess as was out on a drive one day and road was good day was bright suddenly drove right into the area. Guess some dont like the drive by a semi active  MT Rainer but the talk of it blowing up has been around for over 60 years.

Date: 05/21/20 10:44
Author: jst3751

Jeff_Johnston Wrote:
> I thought this might be a good time for me to
> mention the three DVDs I sell that were shot at

https://www.trainorders.com/secure/terms.php

5. Posting of items for sale including directing to items for sale on other web sites is prohibited.

Date: 05/21/20 10:50
Author: TCnR

Didn't mean the drive, meant building a hotel.

BAB Wrote:
> Funny about driving there never thought too much
> about it I guess as was out on a drive one day and
> road was good day was bright suddenly drove right
> into the area. Guess some dont like the drive by a
> semi active  MT Rainer but the talk of it blowing
> up has been around for over 60 years.

Date: 05/21/20 12:01
Author: Jeff_Johnston

My apologies. All the new product announcements by Athearn, Rapido and others on the model railroad forum, with websites, apparently confused me.

Jeff

Jeff_Johnston Wrote: 
> I thought this might be a good time for me to 
> mention the three DVDs I sell that were shot at 

https://www.trainorders.com/secure/terms.php 

5. Posting of items for sale including directing to items for sale on other web sites is prohibited."

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0828 seconds