Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Nostalgia & History > CSX action on ex-B&O Magnolia Cutoff in WV. 20 years ago OTD

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/05/21 06:36
CSX action on ex-B&O Magnolia Cutoff in WV. 20 years ago OTD
Author: perklocal

Twenty years ago my buddy Tom Luckey and I spent Cinco de Mayo down on the ex-B&O Magnolia Cutoff along the Potomac River in West Virginia.  At the time there were a fair amount of leasers along with ex-Conrail units still in blue roaming around the system.  First shot of Q-415 (Cumb.,MD.-Rocky Mt.,NC.) coming under the signal bridge at Great Cacapon,WV. with an ex-Conrail SD60I on the point.  Certain classes of CR locos were equipped with cab signals for the RF&P, (C40-8W, SD60I, SD60M, SD80MAC) so after the merger they became regulars on the 400 series trains.  Middle shot of Coal Train U-822 (Brooks Mine #1,WV.-Curtis Bay,MD. export) at Orleans Road with SD80MAC 807 trailing. (MP 139 Cumberland Subdivision)  Bottom shot of D-720 (Hagerstown-Cumberland Turn) with a pair of SD50s also at Orleans Road.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/21 06:39 by perklocal.

Date: 05/05/21 06:51
Re: CSX action on ex-B&O Magnolia Cutoff in WV. 20 years ago OTD

Next up was Q-398 (Cumb.,MD.-Locust Pt.,MD.) crossing the Potomac River at Magnolia,WV. (MP 145.5)  Middle shot of Q-346 (Cumb.,MD.-Phila.,PA.) from the campsite at Magnolia.  It was a great place to camp and fish (Lots of Smallmouth Bass) while waiting for the next train.  Bottom shot of Q-217 (Autoracks Phila.,PA.-Detroit,MI.) coming out of the west portal of Graham Tunnel crossing the Potomac again on Kesslers Bridge. (MP 146)

Date: 05/05/21 07:01

Top shot of Q-451 (Cumb.,MD.-Acca Yard,VA.) on Kesslers Bridge heading into Graham Tunnel.  Middle shot of Q-134 (Chicago,IL.-Bayview,MD.) with a pair of HLCX leasers up front about to enter Carothers Tunnel at Paw Paw,WV. (MP 148)  Bottom shot of E-110 (Empty Hoppers) westbound coming out of Carothers Tunnel at Paw Paw.

Date: 05/05/21 07:10
Author: ClubCar

All nice photos from the old B&O.  In the 2nd shot one can see the former Western Maryland Bridge in the background.  Luckily I have ridden over both of these bridges back in the good-ole-days when we had many excursion trips on both railroads.  Those were the days.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/05/21 07:18

Then it was back to Magnolia for Q-401 (Cumb.,MD.-Hamlet,NC.) splitting the CPLs.  Middle shot of Q-278 (Toledo,OH.-Curtis Bay,MD.) coming through Graham Tunnel. The hind end of the train is in West Virginia crossing the Potomac on the Kessler Bridge while the middle of the train is passing through Graham Tunnel in "The Neck" which is Maryland. The head end is crossing the Potomac yet again coming back into West Virginia at Magnolia.  Bottom shot of another ex-CR SD60I on the point of Q-130 (Cumb.,MD.-Portsmouth,VA.) between those beautiful CPLs.

Date: 05/05/21 07:37

Top shot of Amtrak PO30 (Capitol Ltd.) at Hansrote,WV. (MP 143)  As soon as PO30 cleared we heard Q-375 (Phila.,PA.-Louisville,KY.) calling the signal at Hansrote.  These are the kind of lashups we liked to see.  Then it was back to Magnolia for Q-139 (Portsmouth,VA.-Cumb.,MD.) with an ex-CR duo of an SD60I and SD60M.

Date: 05/05/21 07:44
Author: dwatry

Excellent series of shots - you got to all the good locations!

Date: 05/05/21 08:01

Next eastbound at Magnolia was Q-368 (Louisville,KY.-Phila.,PA.). The sun finally showed itself at the end of the day and the last two shots are on the Magnolia Bridge.  Middle shot on Q-136 (Chicago,IL.-Phila.,PA.) and last shot of an empty Grain Train with the sun glinting off the trailing HLCX SD40-2.  All told on 5/5/01, we saw 21 trains on the Cutoff in daylight.  Ah, the good old days before 2 mile long monsters with DPUs took over.

Date: 05/05/21 09:37
Author: jgilmore

Man there sure was a lot of variety on the B&O seemingly just a few short years ago! Great set, esp love the Q401 shot between the CPLs and the last couple on the bridge. Thanks for sharing...

JG

Date: 05/05/21 09:46
Author: TCnR

Interesting photo essay, I was able to make a fast visit to this area before the CPL's went away and recognize some of the distinct features. I was very impressed by the Potomac itself, also the sheer engineering of the bridges and tunnels, definitely some exploration time well spent. Interesting area in many ways.
t4p.

https://pbase.com/clivew/csx_near_cumberland_maryland

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/21 13:34 by TCnR.

Date: 05/05/21 11:19
Author: globalethanol

Interesting that both bridges are only separated by a tunnel and how much higher the Magnolia bridge is than the Kessler. Also Q-134 was good on #2 track between Okonoko and Orleans that day with no doublestacks.
Tom

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/21 11:21 by globalethanol.

Date: 05/05/21 11:27

Bottom
> shot of D-720 (Hagerstown-Cumberland Turn) with a
> pair of SD50s also at Orleans Road.

Any idea what that old wooden structure on the north side of the tracks at Orleans was? That D-720 was flying.
Tom

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/21 11:31 by globalethanol.

Date: 05/05/21 13:29
Author: bigsavage

My friend Don and I camped at the Magnolia signals May 4-5 2001. 
It appears the only time we almost crossed paths was when you shot Q398 on the Magnoila Bridge, I was just east of the Magnolia signals.
We left to return home (Frederick Co.,MD) after that.
The attached shows our vehicles at the time (I had the burgundy Ford Ranger), we practiced "covered wagon" camping, find a flat spot for the trucks and set up camp.
This trip was the last one at the signals, for the next 2 years we used the riverbank spot right beside your photo#7.
Warren Jenkins

Date: 05/05/21 13:54

Small world
Tom

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/21 05:31
Author: SP8595

Awesome series with Great shots and interesting variety in motive power!

Date: 05/07/21 04:11
Author: Short-Hood-Lead

Absolutely awesome shots when paint schemes and diesel models were still interesting!!

Date: 05/07/21 04:33
Author: WM_1109

Great photos.
Well deserved IOTD.
/Ted

Date: 05/07/21 07:56
Author: zaltwsp7

Awesome series in with fantastic scenery!
Image of the day great work!

Date: 05/07/21 08:05

217 with the C39-8 still blue my favorite.
Nice IOTD also.
Tom

Date: 05/07/21 11:03
Author: bigsavage

Nice IOTD, congrats.
Maybe I should get some of my slides scanned...

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.237 seconds