Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sebring Sojourn with My Master Plan NOT!

Date: 01/15/23 14:53
Sebring Sojourn with My Master Plan NOT!
Author: bmarti7

As I seek new locations to rail fan in Florida, I chose Sebring. I remember hearing about Sebring years ago with its International Speedway and 12-hour endurance races (a lot of operating crews and crew van drivers could qualify for 12-hour "endurance"). As I headed east from Arcadia on State Route 70 I noticed mileage to Okeechobee so I headed there first  - good thing I did as I would catch my first and only CSX freight of the day there.

The CSX route through Sebring (ex-SAL) skirts the edge of town (I'm used to depots in the middle of the city like most are in the Midwest). The Amtrak station, adjacent streets with no where to park and track alignment with horrible sun angles make photography challenging. I looked for some locations north or south but the area is thick with orange groves - right up to the ROW. On the positive side there are defect detectors on either side of Sebring so trains can't sneak-up on you. My first train in Sebring was No. 98 (14). However the shot was straight into the sun and not worth posting.

The afternoon schedule showed 91 and 92 at Sebring about the same time. As there are no sidings nearby, I headed north to the first siding (I could not see the name). On Google Earth it appeared that I could drive to the south switch. I figured No. 91 would pull up there and wait for No. 92 as Track-A-Train showed that possibility. However my master plan evaporated upon arrival to the siding -  see pic below.  Back in Sebring there is a connection track, just south of the depot, between CSX and SCFE (Sugar Express). However that track was completely rusted-over and there are no interchange yards around Sebring. So I'm guessing SCFE interchanges to the outside world somewhere on the east side of Lake Okeechobee.

On the way home I stopped at Lake Placid - a place I'd like to visit again. Thanks for riding along.

PCBill

1. A very nice Am-shack at Okeechobee - the Stars stop here. Note the clear signal.
2. Train's a comin'. The United Coop Feed Mill to the left is one of several railroad customers in the area.
3. CSX 3448 South leads the M453 13 (Waycross-Hialeah  mixed freight with 682 axles)
more....

Date: 01/15/23 15:00
Re: Sebring Sojourn with My Master Plan NOT!

4. Camo-painted MOW equipment tied down in Okeechobee
5. Access to my "meet" siding foiled -  wouldn't even try this with my 4x4. Yup those are Orange trees to the left.
6. AMT 52 leads No. 92(14) out of Sebring - looks like it needs a nose job (found one shade tree to stand under)
more.....

Date: 01/15/23 15:06

7. AMT 514 is unit no. 2
8. The Star accelerating away from its Sebring stop
9. Even if I could have accessed that siding, I would have missed the 92/91 meet which occured at Avon Park
more....

Date: 01/15/23 15:13

10. AMT 151 south, leading 91(13), slows for its arrival at Sebring
11. Former depot plaque at Lake Placid - now a museum and where the Sugar Express trains from Clewiston stop
12. 3-D mural across from the Lake Placid depot
one more (dashcam video)

Date: 01/15/23 15:15

Arrival of No. 91(13)

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/15/23 15:20
Author: Lackawanna484

Looks like you had a good trip.  Sebring is indeed an interchange between SCFE / US Sugar and CSX, but I don't know how often it is used.  I believe some of the track may have been impacted by Hurricane Ian two+ months ago.

SCFE does run to FEC Fort Pierce yard several  times weekly via the leased Florida East Coast K line.  I don't have a sense of which days, used to be Tuesday and Friday, I think.

Date: 01/15/23 16:08
Author: SCKP187

Nice report and photos—the mural is also super
Brian Stevens

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/23 16:14
Author: PasadenaSub

Neat photos from an area we don't see enough of.  Come back again in 2 months and you will see the FIA World Endurance Championship 1000 Miles of Sebring and then the IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring on the same weekend in mid-March.

Date: 01/15/23 16:50
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SCFE does run to FEC Fort Pierce yard several 
> times weekly via the leased Florida East Coast K
> line.  I don't have a sense of which days, used
> to be Tuesday and Friday, I think.

SCFE Fort Pierce turn is Monday through Friday.

Mike Derrick

Date: 01/15/23 22:08
Author: misty1

Great shots so glad you are finding places to shoot. I have been doing the same up here.
Have a blessed day my friend.

Ed

Date: 01/17/23 21:14
Author: Quakerengr

Thanks for the shots  and updating us on your travels  in your new land.

Pat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds