Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 01/17/07 21:00
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/21 20:51 by F40PHR231.

Date: 01/17/07 21:20
Re: Amtrak clusterwad at Portland
Author: caseyjones

Those are great shots, especially the second shot of Portland Union Station at Night.

Date: 01/17/07 22:03
Author: upbuddyboy

Absolutely awesome photos in every way!!

Date: 01/17/07 22:49
Author: DelMonteX

Chris:

Thanks for the info. I was wondering why all the odd power was pulling Cascades through Tacoma. Missed the BNSF unit though.

Steve Carter
Gig Harbor, WA
My Photography

Date: 01/18/07 00:07
Author: danf

Cluster-what? ;)

Very nice photos by the way. I need to get up there soon. Haven't been there for several years, plus my brother recently moved back there...

Date: 01/18/07 01:48
Author: Jaanfo

I guess that would explain why the 465 is heading to LAX on the Coast Starlight that departed yesterday (clears throat for all the bay area earlybirds, but the loco IS trailing... probably replaced the 119). I was hoping for a shot of one of the locos with wreck repair...

Kinda funny/sad that you guys have had so many problems with the power up there, last fall it was us with all the power problems, we had P42s galore running around, a number of times we had to double up trains after one broke down, now we're having an almost firghteningly reliable time the past two months.

It's kinda funny but even with the nose cancer I loved the 455, probably because it has to have been the most reliable Surfliner Loco I know of... send it back! It looks great with new paint, except some idiot left a strip of masking tape on the plough when it was being painted... note the really ugly black stripe below the engineer's window.

Date: 01/18/07 02:38
Portland Union Station at night
Author: Jim700

Chris, your last picture of the depot, taken from the Broadway Bridge, is absolutely stunning. The lighting effects you captured there bring to mind the works of Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light".

Date: 01/18/07 10:06
Re: Portland Union Station at night
Author: OliveHeights

Loved all the photos. On No. 4 the batwings look like bat ears when viewed from the end of the train.

Date: 01/18/07 11:19
Author: stone23

Chris- Concerning beautiful balmy Portland, what was that white stuff on the ground, an explosion from a nearby flour silo?

Date: 01/18/07 11:56
Author: robertsdavid

Chris,

Could you give us some details of how you made those night time station shots?

Date: 01/18/07 16:14
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photos, Chris. Sorry to hear about the 119. That unit happens to be my favorite Amtrak P42. Hopefully, they will get it fixed before long. It would be nice to see matched up with the 115 again in Starlight service - just like the old days when they were in Phase III paint.

Rich

Date: 01/18/07 17:22
Author: benthere

Excellent photo's of an unusual assortment of motive power.

What kind of speed was the BNSF 8018 able to make between Portland and Seattle? Was it limited to freight speed limits or Talgo limits?

Thanks.

Date: 01/18/07 18:47
Author: bnsfbob

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the comments, I took the night photos
> with a Nikon D70s on a tripod. Using the light
> meter, I took different long exposures... Some
> half-second long, some ten seconds long, and
> picked the ones that turned out best. Any longer
> than that caused the image to wash out
> significantly. I also use a wireless remote for
> the shutter, so the camera's free of any hand
> movement needed to press the button.

Your photos are great!

Bob

Date: 01/18/07 18:55
Author: cutboy2

It must be wonderfull to live in a progressive city..

Date: 01/18/07 19:19
Author: truxtrax

I was wondering why you moved out of the apartments next to Union Station? More important, do you miss the photo ops?

Butch,,,,,here we go

Date: 01/18/07 20:08
Author: burlingtonjohn

Chris,

KILLER night shots!

If Amtrak is having power problems in Portland, perhaps you might consider leasing #231 to them! (grin)

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 01/19/07 13:09
Author: F40PHR231

With a BNSF unit on a Talgo, they must maintain regular speeds that apply to the locomotive. As I understand it, only the F59s and F40 NPCUs are certified to run at Talgo speeds, a P42 or Dash-8 has to run at designated passenger speeds (But I could be wrong...)

I moved out of the Union Station apartments because they were priced high for little in return, and the location/transit accessibility didn't quite work out for me. I'm much happier in SE Portland near Brooklyn Yard, and on three bus routes that run every 15 minutes or sooner. Night life is better too.

However... If the F40s had remained in service, I probably would've remained at those apartments with the webcam. It was nice to be woken up by my own namesake stopped in front of my window at 8 AM some mornings.

Date: 01/19/07 17:33
Author: timecruncher

Wait a minute...

What is all of that white stuff on the ground? Everybody knows that it snows on Mt. Ranier, but not in the rainforest near the coast (i.e. Portland, Tacoma, Seattle)!

timecruncher

Date: 01/19/07 18:47
Author: ProAmtrak

cool pics Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds